The flight was okay, 6.5 hours of no sleep on a red eye. When we were almost into Heathrow I saw one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen. The whole sky was lit up orange and purple and on the other side of the horizon the full moon was still out. Glenna and Robin picked me up at the airport which was a great relief, just to have my mind at ease and not worry about finding the right train or cab.
The flat is beautiful. There are some major pros and some major cons. We are on the ground floor and have one of the biggest living rooms (it's fancy). It is already furnished and even has American adapters in some of the outlets. The only thing is the bedroom is tiny for four people. We all agreed that the place definitely used to be a double and now is a forced quad.
Finding enough space for all of our clothes was a challenge. There is one wardrobe and two tiny tiny dressers to split between the four of us. Yikes. I was so exhausted the first day that I passed out while everyone else was unpacking.
It's like traveling forward in time. My body clock is very off and I haven't been hungry at all since arriving. I cannot wait to get into London routine, cause I feel like a sleepwalker. Luckily, the grocery store Sainsbury is very close and I've been able to get some food in the house and have bought a straightener! HOORAY! haha.
When we arrived my friend-from-home Dylan was already there so we pulled up a table and joined some other Americans. We agreed that next time we went out we'd try the pub at the Imperial College (it's like the MIT of London that is close to our building).
Tomorrow there schedule is planned out for us and every half hour is a new meeting for orientation. Classes start at the end of the week.
Also, Skype seems to be working fabulously! I think I've been talking more with Alex and the fam than I would at BU just cause it is so easy.
And...I got my internship placement!!! Finally!! It's at an online magazine publication called "Three's a Crowd." Here is their website: http://www.3sacrowd.com/
I got a very long email detailing what the experience would be like. Their last intern got to write stories (like which are the best vintage stores in London), film reviews, and interview Dustin Hoffman. The work environment will be very small with only 7 people. The dress is casual -- jeans and flip flops.
In the internship I'll be writing, interviewing, coming up with story and feature ideas, and learning how to manage and work online content. Sounds great! I'm glad the environment will be small enough so I can get to know everyone and get my ideas heard. Plus, I'll be able to dive right into London culture and get around the city while covering any work stuff. I don't start there until Feb.
Tonight we are doing a pub night trivia thing and might be going to a club Rebecca wants to visit. Taking it easy though cause we have to get up pretty early tomorrow for a full day.
<3 A
Anna:
ReplyDeleteCheck out "Bangalore" restaurant over on Waterloo.....fantastic food at really low prices (for London, that is....)
Scotty