
Hello there,
There is so much to tell, I don't know where to begin...
Since I last posted classes have started and I've really started to walk around my neighborhood and so some touristy things. The weather here is so mild, it's great. It does get windy and does rain occasionally though. Alex has already pointed out the difference between my social life here and that in London.
Since I've been jetlagged this week, I have the most energy at night since we are five hours ahead of Boston. Thus, my energy for going out and nightlife has been a lot greater! My roomates and I have noticed that we have become nocturnal--staying up at night and sleeping during the mornings. It makes it that much harder to get into a normal routine where the days aren't slept away. The past few nights I've been trying to get back earlier and not take any naps. :)

Also, one of my main concerns coming here was being around Americans all the time and not getting a chance to meet the locals. So far I've done pretty well though. I feel like every other night we mix it up. There was the Start of the Semester party I signed up for through BU that was all Americans, and then we've gone to Imperial College a few times to get to know the students there. I felt important because I'm starting to recognize people when I go now. Everyone here dresses so sheek! All the girls where heels or stylish boots all the time. Also, dark colors are the thing. My roomie Katherine went out in a bright yellow rain jacket one day and she said she got looks. I'm realizing that my "going out" outfits are nothing like what people wear here. hahaha I guess I'm a lot more conservative.

It's interesting that the Brits are just as excited about Obama as we are, perhaps even more so. I cannot wait for the inaugeration! I really want to write a news story about it, maybe just for myself. I feel like I should take advantage of being in another country to cover the reaction.
Things I've heard about Americans from the local brits:
•We have nasally accents
•American girls are not as snooty as British girls
•We are easy to spot (not surprising)
...and apparently I look the actress in the movie "Saved." I'll have to look that up.

Everyone I meet seems to come up asking, "Are you American???" Then I get asked about politics or the places I've explored. I was surprised that I could have intelligent conversations when out at a bar or club.
So far I've done A LOT of walking around the neighborhood. Our flat is in such a fancy area. You might have seen pics in my last post. It's not a college area, but a upscale residential area. It's very quiet and the only students you see around here are BU kids. I've seen women wearing fur coats walking their small dogs right outside the window.

During the two days of orientation I had little breaks when I've casually walked around and explored. Katherine and I popped into the National History Museum and walked through the dinosaur exhibit. It was AMAZING! Such an interactive museum that is well designed (something Mollie would appreciate :). And it had a huge rock exhibit! (Something Alex would appreciate :)) It had a live robot T-rex which was cool.
I also got lost walking around Hyde Park the other day. I went early by myself just to get some fresh air and take pics. I'll be sure to post them.
I started my classes too. I can tell they are def. going to be fun because they are not straight lectures. Because they are four hours long, there is time to go out on field trips and watch movies. I really like my British professors too. It's funny though because sometimes we have to stop and ask about a turn of phrase or certain terminology that is different. I can tell that my British history class is going to be quite difficult though because I don't have the slightest idea or prior knowledge about any of it. I couldn't tell you the difference between the cabinet, government or House of Lords...We'll have to see how this plays out. So far the homework has been a lot of reading. I almost forgot I actually have to do work here...

Last night I took a break from going out with the roomies to visit Glenna and Robin. They took me out to an opera called the
Carmina Burana. I have never been to an opera before and had no idea what to expect. The event took place at the O2 Millenium Dome which is HUGE. It was a concert stadium and 10,000 people were there. There were fireworks, dancing, and singing of course. The costumes were spectacular and everything was in latin. I was worried about understanding it, but everything acted on stage was pretty symbolic. They let me stay the night, it was awesome to crash in a real bed and have a good meal. :)

Yesterday afternoon I visited Windor Castle, a trip I had signed up for through the BU program. It was the absolute perfect weather day to go visit---very sunny and not too cold. This castle is an official residence of the Queen and she hosts receptions in the state rooms. Unfortunately these rooms were closed for renovation while we were there, but we still got to see Queen Mary's Dollhouse and St. George's Chapel. The dollhouse is about as big as a car and is essentially like a castle with a bunch of rooms. The toilets actually flush and the books have tiny writing. If the house was enlarged you could live in it. The chapel is where many members of the royal family have been married and buried. It was absolutely beautiful with gothic architecture with everything so ornate. Took my breath away.
I made sure to buy a guide to the kings and queens while I was there...it might help me with my class.
Alright. Enough talk! Time for some pictures.
Stay tuned.
<3 A
I LOVE ROCKS!! can we go when i come visit you?!?!?
ReplyDeleteOF COURSE! I was planning on it!
ReplyDeletehahaha...alixus.
ReplyDelete