DISCLAIMER:
The following entries were written so late because I have been in a state of nonstop activity and hosting. Also, I know I can write better and in more descriptive detail, but this is the best I can do for now just to get everything down chronologically before it's too late and I forget. Pictures and video are still to come. Thanks for your patience.
Hey Everybody,
SO MUCH has happened since my last post. Everyday I've been saying how I NEED to blog because I've been out seeing so much art and theater and having so many adventures. It's time to share.
LIZA AND MARTIN'S VISIT -
Two weekends ago my friends from school Liza and Martin came to stay with me in London at the flat. Martin got in late thursday evening after a hiccup of a tube signal failure that took me two hours to meet him at the airport. UGH. We got home to find my roomates at a dinner party so we grabbed some cider and a bottle of wine to relax.
The next morning I had work so Martin went to the British Museum to walk around and explore. Afterward, I met Liza at the train station and we headed back to the flat. I felt bad, but that night I really needed to plan my trip to Greece with the guys upstairs so while I did that they went out to get some british fish and chips down the road.
SO it's booked! I am officially going to Greece April 9th-13th. It's a three day CRUISE through the islands. The first day we fly into Athens, spend the night and the next morning we catch the cruise and head to Mykonos, Rhodes, Patmos, and then Kusadasi, Turkey!! It really is a trip of a lifetime. The weather here had been so warm lately, I can't imagine what it'll be like in Greece in April. I'm very happy I decided to book even though it is a bit expensive when compared to other weekend trip destinations.
After finally booking we went out to celebrate with Martin and headed to Picadilly Circus to Sports Cafe. It was meh, danced a bit and got to hang out.
The next day we walked all over London. Started at the Burough Market which is my new favorite spot. I've been going there Saturday mornings because it is HUGE and has all these vendors with everything from fresh fish, cheese, bread, jams, etc. And many stands have free samples. When we went it was mobbed with people. Afterward we had the opportunity to see St. Paul's Cathedral, and walk down the wobbly bridge to the Tate Modern and Globe Theater. From there we walked down the river (got a vanilla softserve) to London Bridge. I kinda wanted to see if we could go inside the Gurkin (spelling?) - it's the egg shaped building London is famous for. It was closed when we got up to it but we were still able to take some pics close up. From there we walked down Tower Bride to the state house building.
It's free to explore the walkway at the top, and it has beautiful views of the river and the bridge. We asked a nice old spanish man to take a photo of us but he must have never used a camera before because he held it backwards and then upside down.
By this point my feet were killing me and I was about to crash from staying up late and then walking around all day so I headed back to the flat to nap and cook some dinner while Martin, Liza, and Jon went out shopping. We had a nice meal of greek chicken - my new favorite dish to make from the cookbook mom wrote down for me for xmas. I've made it at least three times now!
That night Martin read off the list of options for going out and we decided on a place called Village Soho. Martin described it as a chill place to go before heading out to the real party. Turns out this place was pretty crazy - good experience for my first gay bar. The makeup on some of those boys...wow.
On Sunday I had already been signed up for a social program trip to Oxford and Blenheim Palace for the day. Both Liza and Martin went off into the city to explore and do their own things.
Blenheim Palace was unbelievable. It is the only privately owned palace and is where Winston Churchill was born. It is home to the Duke of Marlborough who actually lives there even though the other half the the palace is used for tours. It is where the movie Young Victoria (just released here starring Emma Blunt) was filmed instead of Buckingham Palace. On wednesday I saw the movie with Martin and recognized everything! I was just there! The palace gardens are probably my favorite part, but it was raining when me and Katie were out there exploring. We still got some good pictures out of it though! I'll post them.
Oxford is half an hour away from the palace so that's where we headed next on the coach bus. Our tour guide explained to us the history as we drove. So many prime ministers have attended university there...
It is absolutely beautiful. The whole town looks like a castle. It's like Harry Potter. And speaking of, Katie and I decided it was worth it to spend a couple pounds to enter Christ Church to see the courtyard and great hall where the HP movies were filmed. Walking around it was amazing because the sun came out and we even saw a rainbow. On the way back we stopped at the Eagle and Child for a pint. It's the pub where CS Lewis and Toilken met to discuss their books together. I loved it!
On the bus ride home I read through the Greece travel books I took out from the library. It was a very good day.
That night we went out to Tiger Tiger because it is free on sundays. It was probably the most fun I've had out at a club in a very long time. Tons of ridiculous dancing and Britney music, it really doesn't get much better than that.
Monday Liza and I work up early to walk around Hyde Park in the sunshine. We got a chance to talk and relax before her trip home on the train and before I had class.
Tuesday - work...can't remember what else...
Wednesday - went shopping with Martin at High Street Kensington and saw Young Victoria. Then I packed at met mom at the airport!
<3 A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment