
I’d been looking forward to this visit for a very long time. After work I caught the tube to meet mom at the airport as she came out of the gate. To get her attention I yelled “MOM” and of course she comes over starting to tear up. Which gets me to tear up. Hahaha, we are both saps.
And so the visit begins. We headed to Glenna’s to unpack and unwind. Got in around 10:30 which wasn’t bad. Had some nosh and went to bed.
The next morning we got together with her friends to have lunch at a pub and go to see Billy Elliot! The back story of these friends is, Mom has a group of women she met on her study abroad in London who she still keeps in touch with. They go on annual trips and this year it was London.
And yes, I will take credit for this trip because I was the inspiration for everyone to go!
Billy Elliot was amazing. I couldn’t believe the dancing from everyone in the cast. Plus the blocking, costumes, and set was just…so fun to look at. Pieces of the set rise and fall coming out of trap doors in the floor. Mom, care to share your thoughts?
It was not what I expected at all! When listening to the BBC, it sounds seamless and flows perfectly. When we were taken inside the studio they were writing the script as they were on air. The producer was squabbling with the other sound people trying to get everything in place.
At one point Owen (what’s his last name) the broadcaster, just started going off talking on his own and one of the ladies was astonished being like – What is he doing?! And the producer said, oh don’t worry about it he’s so good at filling time he just does his own thing. Hahha. Also, a moroccan journalist was in the studio and they just put him in for a quick two minute interview. Jeez, they just seem to throw it together.
So that is was what being a radio journalist is like. Hmmm. I don’t think I could handle it. With print, you are able to go back and check over your work and it’s not as much improvisation.
We truly did get the VIP treatment on the tour because they showed us the building, chatted with some producers of the program and got to actually view the broadcast. At the end, they gave us a goodie bag of cds, books, and pamphlets.
The destination from there was Greenwich, the old stomping ground of Mom and her friends. It’s small with lots of cozy shops and has a HUGE green park with an observatory at the top of the hill that we walked up. We saw the prime meridian line. Kinda cool
At their old home, the door was locked but the dining hall was next door and a construction worker let us into the house. I was the photographer during the duration of this trip because at every corner there was a landmark or something they had to get photos of. ;)
Afterward, we grabbed a drink at the King’s Arms and got a few little things at the marketplace. I got a couple colorful rings and mom got a card that had a map of Greenwich on it.
On the ride home we decided where to go to dinner, it was a place on High Street Kensington but now I forget the name. Anyway, it was the feast for the gods, with candlelighting a huge woodentable and very english dishes of lamb and breadpudding. I was absolutely stuffed and everyone was in tears laughing by the end of the night.
Since it was Mom’s friends’ last night in town we headed back to their hotel to see the slideshow Anne had made of all their trips over the years. She put it to music, and despite all the disclaimers, it was fabulous! A great end to their visit.
We got home at midnight. I’m glad mom got in such a full day of activity here. That’s what you do – rally!
The next morning I slept in while Mom and Glenna went out for a walk. The mornings here in London are so sunny and beautiful – I’d say it’s when it’s the warmest out. Sometimes I just can’t seem to pull myself out of bed though.
During the afternoon we went to the John Soane museum that is right down the street from where I work. It’s like the Stuart Gardener museum – it is his house and every inch of it is filled with art. There are sculptures everywhere, you can get up close, and it is fun to wander.
Afterward we searched for Blackfriars pub without luck, got coffee, and headed to Trafalgar Sq to the National Gallery. Beautfiul Monets, Van Goghs, Reniors…I am going to go back soon. Plus I bought a Renoir print to bring home. ☺
Monday – class. Wah wah. Before hand, Mom and Glenna helped me move my stuff out of the flat at Lexham and into Glenna’s house. I’m making it my homebase just because it’s more comfortable and I can get better sleep there. The cramped quad was starting to get to me a bit.
So now I’m all settled and feel extremely relaxed. It’s a good feeling. We got sushi at this place in South Ken that has a conveyor belt with all the dishes that go around the tables. You pay by the color of the dish. It was fun!
Later that evening we also went out to dinner to celebrate Mom’s last night here in London. Glenna and Robin are members of a country club down the road and we walked there. It was so nice out and very quiet. We crossed a bridge over a brook and went through a winding path up to the facility. They were closed for dinner but we had a drink in the menagerie! So fancy! It’s like greenhouse with chairs.
Then we went to a nice chinese place down the road. It’s getting me hungry just thinking about it.
The next day we spent the morning together. Mom gave me a haircut outside like old times. ☺ Such a relaxing visit. We got to see just enough. I feel refreshed now and like my experience here has changed for the better.
<3 A
I like that photo in front of the BBC...I don't have that one.
ReplyDeleteI foresee more mother/daughter travel trips in our future!!
-(mom)
:)
ReplyDelete