Friday, March 27, 2009

Life

Hey there,

I’m just chillin in the British Museum right now. Just got done with work and figured I’d pop by because it’s right next door. Saw the Rosetta Stone! Check. It’s amazing, the same description was written in three different languages, one being hyroglyphics and another in Greek. They were able to decipher because of the cartouches signifying names. Amazing.

There is so much here I think I will have to come back sometime. I’m noticing that all the museums I go to are dedicated or opened by “her majesty the queen.” Always says that somewhere in big letters.

TGIF. Though work has been going really well. I’ve been getting plenty of clips lately – easy when I only have to write 300-500 words for each piece. Today I wrote a story on Tony Hadley and a popular British band called Spandau Ballet. Heard of them? Me neither. Apparently they are big here, there was an article about them in the Times the other day.

The other night was the Plus Awards. Along with running the online magazine, Three’s A Crowd also organizes and runs events. This one was for businesses in the area to give out annual awards for things like “best chairman” or “best accountant of the year” and whatnot.

Everything was done to the nines – immaculate table settings, goodie bags, a champagne reception, and celebrity guests like actor Dougray Scott from Mission Impossible. And Tony Hadley performed his hits from the eighties.

I was invited to come along and help. My only concern was finding something that fit the description “black tie” for I left all my ball gowns at home. Lucky I have Glenna here to help me prepare and I managed to pull it off. Here’s a pic…

So I helped preset and when the champagne reception started and all the men in suits and women in beautiful dresses started pouring in I had the job of selling raffle tickets with another girl named Faith.

I wore a white glove and held a tester bottle of the world’s most expensive perfume in one hand and in the other raffle tickets to sell for charity. It was great – nearly everyone I asked bought a ticket regardless of them being kinda expensive at 10 pounds. I guess these people can afford it.

Plus, if you won – you get a set of the world’s most expensive perfume. It’s by Clive Christian and would cost 1,000 pounds! Wowzers. It permeated everything I wore…to be honest I don’t like the smell, way too strong and I had to scrub it off my arm.

People loved talking to me because of my accent. It’s weird to think I’m the one here who has the accent and not the other way around. I met a few people who had been to the Boston area and I got to complain about how no one here is a Sox fan – there are too many people wearing Yankees paraphanelia. Once Alex pointed it out to me, it’s all I see. Thus far, I’ve only seen two Red Sox hats. It makes me smile.

I ended up selling 415 pounds worth of raffle tickets. We raised 1,150 total for Leuka. To celebrate, we each had a glass of champagne after. Then I was just about to relax and watch the award presentation when one of the girls running the event pointed at me and was like, Anna I have a job for you. So she grabs me and head up to the stage. She points to a box filled with the awards they were about to give out and said, “Well, they are going to need these so you can just hand them out when you get the cue. Sorry to just throw this at you!”

Hahaha. So I got to be Vanna White and hand out the awards to the presenter who would hand it to the company or person that won.

When that ended, Tony Hadley came to perform and I grabbed a free seat at the front of the room. I’ll post a pic of him when I can. I did recognize one of his songs, True, so I wasn’t at a total loss. He’s quite the performer and really got into singing along to the background soundtrack cause there was no band. The women at the tables LOVED him. It was fun to watch.

Overall it was a great experience and I got a chance to get to know the people I work with a bit better. Everyone was yawning in the office the next afternoon.

As far as classes go – I’m taking a British Sociology of Education class every Monday with only two other students in the class. On the plus side, it forces me to do work and pay attention. (I should do at least a little work while I’m in London.) On the downside, it has been very tough to get through sometimes because it can be dry and the class is four hours long. It has been getting better lately.

I don’t think I told you but I moved in with Glenna and Robin because they have a spare guest bedroom – it was getting tough to get sleep in the quad. There is just not enough space for four people. I was getting way too run down from being woken up in the bunkbed every night and living in constant filth that comes from four messy girls with no space. Anyway, what I was going say is that now that I’m getting sleep I can actually get through the class without feeling completely exhausted. I’m getting more out of it now and have a lot to contribute to our debates about education. So, that’s good.

Also, there is more news on the job front! I’ve been trying to send at least a few emails a day out to people I know asking about who’s hiring. After a month of doing this – I’ve found a couple openings. I’ve applied for a paid marketing internship at BU and have an interview scheduled for when I get back to Boston!! ☺ I also applied to be Coordinator of the COM Ambassador Program and have a phone interview on Tuesday. I am DETERMINED to find a job for this summer. All this research and emailing is so I can actually find something that pays that is in my field. I know waitressing is always an option but these jobs can actually go on my resume. And they are in Boston at BU.
Now if I can only get Alex to start looking for jobs…

Also, last weekend I went to visit Paris again. There were still more things on my list that I wanted to see. I’m sure you’ve probably already seen the pictures posted on Facebook, but I should probably share my thoughts too. I think I’ll make a separate post for that to fill you in.

So, what’s on the list for the next week or so?

Monday – Theater to see “Enjoy” and have a school field trip to visit a few academies

Tuesday – Job interview with COM

Friday – Oxford for the Lit Festival for a day with Glenna and Robin

Sunday – Register for classes

Monday 4/6 – 9 months together with Alex

Thursday – GREECE

There is much to look forward to. I come back to Boston on April 24th and my weekends are all booked! It’s crazy how little time left there is, I’ve made a list of the stuff I want to do or see.

Oh yeah, I found out where I’m living next year too. 100 Mountfort Street in South Campus with my friend Liza (from 4th floor frosh year) and Vivian (Daily Free Press friend). We each have our own singles in an apartment. I am very pleased.

Sorry, all my posts are so long. It’s just that there is so much going on! I hope you all aren’t missing me too much. Please comment because it makes me happy!



Much love,
A

3 comments:

  1. haha A COMMENT! I know you those these.
    I hope you use your last weeks to soak up as much as you can! next...National Portrait Gallery? Tate Britian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know you those these"

    ?

    I have been to the Portrait Gallery but Tate Britain is still on the list. My mind is ready to go home though, it's bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. *I know you love those (comments).

    ReplyDelete